Colorful Candy Coated Peeps Recipe
With my toddler becoming more active in crafts, I decided I needed to increase our craftiness with our Easter Peeps. Let’s not just eat the Peep Bunnies and Chicks. No no no, it is time get creative. Our family is a big fan of the cake ball phenomena. If we can cover cake balls we can cover anything and Peeps are the mission. Here is our idea for Colorful Candy Coated Peeps.
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. Wilton Candy Melts any color and flavor
- 2 (3 3/8 oz.) pkg. Peeps Marshmallow Bunnies or Chicks
- 1 pk. Lollipop Sticks
- 1 tsp. Crisco All-vegetable shortening solid
- Candy Sprinkles for eyes
- Styrofoam or artificial green foam floral block
- Melt half of the 10 oz. candy melts in a microwave safe dish, per package instructions. Preferably use a square dish to make room for the lollipop stick. Once melted, mix in 1/2 tsp. Crisco to thin out candy melts mixture. Stir well to dissolve Crisco. Insert lollipop stick into Peep bunnies and chicks. Place your Peep stick into your melted candy melts. Help coat remaining sides of Peep with a spoon full of candy melts. Gently tap the excessive candy melts off your Peep and let drip back into pan. The tapping will also help smooth the mixture on your Peep.
- Place candy covered Peep into the styrofoam block so candy coating can firm. Continue covering the remaining batch. Once the candy melts mix has hardened (but is still pliable), add your sprinkles one at a time to the Peeps and create their eyes and nose.
The mixture will harden the longer you take. This is why I suggest doing half batches especially if you want to share the task with little ones.
Cover anything you want with the candy mixture. I used Vanilla Wafers and added sprinkles and created eggs as seen in the picture.
Crisco is added because of the delicate nature of the Peeps. The melted candy mixture alone is very heavy and hard to spread on the Peeps. Crisco does not change the flavor. Use sparingly.
Looking for coupons to help you with you recipe supplies? Visit Michaels craft site and view their weekly ad for free in store coupons. Visit Qpon Junkie’s Coupon Database to find every coupon for grocery, baby, beauty and more.
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please tell us what you thought on this post. Make sure to stop back in to visit. Qpon Junkie will be adding a new recipe every week. Look for coupons and ads to go with the recipes of the week. We are here to help you stretch your budget, n0t yourself.
Disclaimer: This post my contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.